March 31, 2008

"I Will Rest When I'm Dead"

Melissa Ferrick sang these words on her album Listen Hard released in 2002 and it hit me as soon as I heard them that it is truly my life motto. The past couple weeks were such a whirlwind I feel like a rock star; minus the heavy drinking, late nights and musical talent parts. Perhaps it can be attributed to inhaling so many paint fumes or the extra special workout my body got after lugging boxes up and down stairs but it is amazing to me that March is already over.

We signed the lease for the apartment, decided to move in on the 29th since it was a weekend, and immediately I was purchasing materials and packing up the tool caddy for my painting job in Maryland the following week. The morning I was leaving Matt and I decided to check on a whim how much flights would cost out of BWI if he were to drive down with me and then fly back the same day. It was so reasonable he was yelling book it and I was printing a boarding pass before either of us actually realized what was going on. We caravaned to Hartford, he parked at short term and I picked him up only going a few miles off the original route; all so I could have some company for the ride. We made it to the other airport in about seven hours and he was flying back home as I was flying down the highway to the house. Since I would be staying there during the duration of the job they left all sorts of convenient items such as a bed, towels and a coffee maker but the rest of the house was eerily empty as if the surfaces were screaming "after 35 years of tobacco smoke, please paint me now".

I got started that night with spackle in the hallway upstairs on the water damaged ceiling and it was all uphill from there applying spackle, primer and paint to pretty much every surface that was not a floor. I was feeling high in about two days. It was lucky that I had help (in a big way) through a friend of family in the area because I would have been there painting until June otherwise. He was an amazing benefit to the speed in completing the job and even though I was the one to prime and paint about 800 linear feet of trim, he was the one to prime and paint almost every ceiling and many walls in the house. We had a blast and a lot of laughs. Eleven fourteen hour days later I was once again packing up the car to head home feeling like I was suffering from withdrawals without being able to spend even a second writing the whole time I was there. The return leg of driving was all me so Oreo kept me company on shuffle until Jersey when I decided it was time to stay awake by singing so Mraz was all over the speakers until I could get coffee in Connecticut. Here are a few key before and after shots for everyone to enjoy!

First Floor Bath

Shadowbox & wall paper removal

First Floor BR

Hallway ceiling

Matt picked up our keys on Friday so I met him at our new apartment after the drive back and we hugged for about ten minutes. It was nice to rest my cheek on his and I absorbed that moment as deep as I could to gather the strength for the final push of my two weeks of insanity. We stayed over my Mom's Friday night and on Saturday drove the couple hours out to the house in Western MA to pick up the last of the furniture there. After dropping that back at my Mom's we hit our storage unit on the south shore to pick up the items we have not seen in the six months we have been living at the furnished beach cottage. Sunday was the big move in day and we had help from Auntie, Uncle, S & B which was more than we had ever hoped or expected and not only did they all help carry boxes and random furniture they brought food and a camera to commemorate the day. Everyone peeled off here and there and Matt and I fell onto our mattress at about 11:00 last night after getting about half our new place set up.

I think I must have temporarily died last night because I slept through the night for the first time in a month and this morning actually feel as if I rested. My real life will resume tomorrow but for now I plan to do nothing but look at those boxes and hope they unpack themselves while I surf the web all day.


Bridgete said...

Okay, if you're still in MA when I have need of a paint job, I'm asking you.

Glad to hear you're resting a bit after all that work.

artjewl said...

Wow. Just reading this post exhausts me. Good to read you again. :)

Chucka Stone Designs said...

Yes today was the internet install day so I set out to do nothing but read everyone's blogs I have been desperately missing the last 2 weeks! Thanks for the props and comments gals :)

High Desert Diva said...

Never, ever be gone so long again.

I was in heavy Jenn withdrawal.

We had that lovely pink pepto bismal tile in our last house. I know mid-century is big for a lot of people, but frankly, it makes me want to hurl. We chipped it off and took it to a salvage yard, cackling gleefully when we were handed $65 in trade.

Sadly, having just recently gone through this, I know for a fact the boxes won't unpack themselves. But I'd be glued to the computer, too.

Welcome back to blogland, and happy apartment warming!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Hooray, you made it! Welcome back to posting and commenting and being "alive" again.
I really, really miss you. Wish I was coming back to MA soon!
Love ya, Mum

Bree said...

I've tried the whole "work doing itself while I do fun stuff" thing... does not usually end well. :D

Stupid work not doing itself when I want it to do itself. This is quite a project, you are positively superhuman!

Chucka Stone Designs said...

Yes it is sad that I do actually have to unpack but the good news is that our apartment is so small that if it comes out of the box and does not have a home it goes in the Goodwill box right away :)

Due to that we are almost done now & I even spent some much missed time with my sewing machine last night :)

Great to read all your updates again too, I missed you gals :)

Chris Stone said...

wow you've been busy! Nice job! and congrats on the new apartment!

Ginger said...

hey! i love, love, love the pink tile with the black counter top in that bathroom. thank goodness you got rid of that gastly border...i'm glad you got a little rest, you had a busy month and deserve it.

i'm glad you're back jenn...i missed you.