After a lot of back and forth and some research on my part regarding the product I placed my order and anxiously awaited my box full of goodies. Even though Bee said it could take a couple weeks due to an already existing custom order in line in front of me, I only had to wait about a week and this is what arrived at my doorstep...
- It is a composite material similar to Trex in its durability factor but it is made from PVC
- It is stain resistant
- The lifespan of the product is slated for over 25 years
- It is recyclable
- The company itself is trying to be as Green as possible:
"As a leading provider of green building products, AZEK Building Products actively contributes to the green building movement through education and, more importantly, by offering durable, sustainable building products. Moreover, we are diligently working to develop our own corporate cradle-to-grave building systems that reduce landfill costs, reduce fossil fuel use, and reduce carbon footprint of all our operations and products."Nice!
The product had a slight tooth on it so I lightly wood filled some of the end cut marks that the blade left behind, but left the top and bottom in their original state and got started priming.
The primer from the Chocolate Brown Giani Granite kit that I picked up earlier in the week at Walmart was working beautifully with the composite material. Once the primer had cured for the designated number of hours I applied faux finished granite paint effect to all six sides (drying in between of course) and once that was fully cured overnight the waterborne resin topcoat went on. Two coats of topcoat later and I was ready for the eco-fi Craft Felts I had precut to adhere on the bottom.
The felt went on smooth with a super tacky adhesive that I paint brushed on to avoid lumps or bumps, then I used a rounded rollable item to firmly plant it in place. The side of one of the Giani cans was the perfect size and weight to do the job. Yes folks, sometimes I have to act like MacGyver on a daily basis inventing the perfect tool for the job on the fly!
After the felt had set up for about 6 hours I flipped them over and voila, instant granite coaster set! The benefits of these coasters of course are:
- No stone was quarried to create the pieces
- The mineral paints are low odor and low VOC
- Just like real stone no two will ever be exactly the same
- They are much lighter than real stone (less expensive to ship!)
- Speaking of inexpensive...a foot of granite can run $30 - $100 while these are just $15
- Custom colors, patterns and designs are only limited to your imagination!
Want a custom color? Email me at the address located on my CONTACT page and we can get started on yours today! Thanks so much to Bee for the amazing communication, fantastic product and unbelievably positive and upbeat attitude! I'll certainly be shopping your supplies section again my friend!