August 16, 2011

Hard Work Really Can Pay Off!

My brain is about to explode!  I woke up this morning and read an email from my university that I'm being invited to join the Golden Key International Honour Society.

Oh my goodness!

So to give those of you who haven't known me for a long time a little background, to say I was a slacker in high school would be a gross understatement.  I think I graduated with a 2.4 and that was literally because I took so many slacker classes my senior year and passed every English class from 9-12th grade with straight A's.  Everything else was at best a B- and truthfully I couldn't have cared less back then.

There was more procrastination that perfectionist, more multi-tasking than focus.  I had a job, participated in a team sport, spent time with friends and my boyfriend.  There was simply very little (read: no) time to study, so if it wasn't a class I was interested in I pretty much did just enough to get by and the rest was a big who cares.

Math was a good example.  History too.  I generally wrapped up the year with low C's in both.  Oh yeah, and then there was Science...let's not even talk about my Chemistry class, it still gives me nightmares thinking about that D-...yeah.

Now if it looks like my percentage might fall below a 96% I'm writing to the Instructor to ask how I can do some extra credit to make sure I won't drop below an A.  And that's in week 2 out of 5.  Oh, and an A goes all the way to a 90% so...

All the sacrifice in time and fun that I had to make is completely worth it now.  I mean, not that it wasn't before knowing I had the 4.0, but to be recognized for hard work and dedication by the Administration of a University never feels bad!

I'm not usually a pat-myself-on-the-back type of person but in this instance I'm planning to shout it from the rooftops!

What have you given your all to lately that has made a difference in your life?

No comments: