August 17, 2011

A New Discovery - Stardust Building Supplies

There are a couple projects I have brewing in the back of my mind for cool ways I can incorporate the Giani Granie finish into both my day job and Chucka Stone Designs shop on Etsy.  The only problem is I really dislike buying anything new in order to create items.  With the current state of the environment, upcycling, recycling and repurposing are my favorite ways to create.  Extend the lifecycle I say!

So with these new ideas came a whole bunch of research into the types of stores in my area where I might be able to find second hand or surplus items at a reduced rate.

I was completing a little research today and wouldn't you know it, I stumbled across a company with two locations right here in the central valley!  The place is called Stardust Building Supplies and let me tell you, if it wasn't 107 degrees outside right now I'd be in my way over there to stock up on everything I need to complete projects for the next month.

The place is huge, they have two warehouse locations (Phoenix and Mesa) with 40,000 square feet of inventory.  And stock changes daily because the way they acquire materials is through donations from contractors with a surplus or from donations.

Their motto is "Don't Waste...DONATE!" and in addition to that, right on the website they reference that they're environmentally and socially conscious:

Stardust Non-Profit Building Supplies, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to diverting reusable building materials from landfills into the hands of those who need them. The organization was founded in 1997 by a handful of visionaries, and began as a means to help families, other non-profit organizations and our environment.
How cool is that?  But the best part of all, the company offers deconstruction services -- they'll demolish the place in question then haul away the goodies back to their warehouse to resell to the public at a savings of 50 - 80% OFF the suggested retail price!

Hello!

I know where I'll be checking first for all my construction needs and when Matt and I buy our house and have plans to renovate we'll make use of not only their deconstruction services but probably their available stock as well.  Its like the craigslist of building supply houses (READ: my mothership *insert angelic singing here*)

You know what?  They also have volunteer opportunities.  I'm really thinking about signing up and lending my skills to helping the community...

What way have you discovered recently that can help lessen your impact on the planet?

Stardust Building Supplies blog

No comments: