For easing the pain of shin splints I've never found a better solution than the crinkling a towel trick.
- Lay a towel lengthwise out from the edge of your bathtub.
- Sit on the edge of the tub, barefoot, and with your toes just at the ends of the towel.
- Begin to pull the towel towards you using only your toes and trying to keep your feet as flat on the floor as possible.
- Repeat this about 3-4 times crinkling up the entire towel until you begin to feel slight fatigue in your muscles.
- Repeat about once a day for a few days until the pain eases.
Usually I would only have to do this for 1-2 days and my shins felt so much better!
And if all else fails do it with a margarita in your hand, that tends to do the trick every time :-)
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and you're enjoying getting back into the grind.